Friday, March 15, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [14] - St. Patty Day Edition

Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment


This week is the St. Patty's Day Edition

My choice is the leprechaun from The Hollows


I can't think of another one that has a leprechaun...if you know one, please let me know!

This one works at The Blood and Brew pub and starts out the story as Rachel's first run is to nab the tax-evading leprechaun. She gives Rachel three wishes which really get the story moving and even come back later. Although she seems like a character that I wouldn't see again, she does pop up in later books. Basically, I think she is the catalyst for the series.

Quotes:

"Interland Security," I said, slapping my I.S. identification down. The rush was gone already. "You stand accused of fabricating a rainbow for the purpose of misrepresenting the income generated from said rainbow, failure to file the appropriate requisition forms for said rainbow, failure to notify Rainbow Authority of said rainbow's end-"
"It's a lie!" the woman shouted, contorting in the cuffs. Her eyes darted wildly about the bar as all attention focused on her. "All a lie! I found that pot legally."
____________________________________________________

"You canna catch me!" the leprechaun threatened, struggling as the crowd's shouts became enthusiastic. "Rings of steel alone canna hold me. I've escaped from kings. and sultans, and nasty little children with nets!"
____________________________________________________

"No! Wait!" the leprechaun shouted as I grabbed my bag and hauled her butt to the door. "Wishes! Three wishes. Right? You let me go, and you get three wishes."

8 comments:

  1. Oh, you got me on this one! I remember reading a Mari Carr book with Irish in the title, but that was a while ago. I'll have to see what my mom and sister come up with. (oh I love the pic on the FF with the white blossoms, so pretty!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I remember now. It's been forever since I read book one. Good one. I can't think of another book with a leprechaun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry! I just wanted to celebrate St. Patty's Day a little. Usually Zane and I go on a trip each year for this time of year, but we didn't get to this year. I posted so late I couldn't even say you can use someone with 'Green' in their name or that wears green a lot.


    Those trees are so beautiful to walk and drive past all the time. I love this time of year because of them :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about that for quite a while with this post...they are obviously not a magical creature that authors like to write about. My son and his grandmother made me the coolest 'lucky rainbow in a jar' with marshmallows at the top, colored skittles in rows, then gold coins at the bottom. It made me think about leprechauns :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is it terrible that I had forgotten it was a leprechaun that set Rachel on this path?? That is the perfect leprechaun to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with. :)


    The only other leprechaun I could think of was in a children's book called Fiona's Luck.


    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick for the holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not at all - that was the beginning and I just re-read a lot so I had read that not too long ago. I haven't heard of Fiona's Luck before, but I'll have to check it out. I bet Zane would like it. Thank you so much for stopping by and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!