Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Review: The Iron Queen (Iron Fey #3) by Julie Kagawa

Publisher: January 25, 2011 Harlequin Teen
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy
Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased


*Please note that it is very hard to review books past the first one in the series without having any spoilers at all. I will try to keep it as spoiler free as I can, but if you haven't read the first book in this series, you may just want to read that review instead of continuing with this one.
Goodreads Summary
The "New York Times" Bestseller My name is Meghan Chase.

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.


Summer, Iron, and Winter Side-by-Side and Across Enemy Lines

The minute I put this book down, I picked up the next one so I could immediately dive right back into the story.

The Good


I have always thought the supporting characters in this series are exceptionally wonderful. They are unique and lovable and strong-willed. The world is an old idea with a new fascinating concept melded in. It is certainly a great series that I have been enjoying. However, I have made no secret of my sometimes dislike of Meghan...especially in The Iron Daughter. I found her whiny, selfish, and annoying in moments. Now, I LOVE the direction Kagawa went in The Iron Queen and the remarkable growth of Meghan Chase. Everything that I have disliked about her before has been completely turned around and she is now a heroine that I can stand behind.

Meghan has some high odds stacked against her. She has some very tough choices to make as well as some great people on the path with her. I have never been emotionally attached to her before so the books were fantastic, but didn’t move me. This one had me laughing harder, brought me to tears, and had me gasping in surprise.

Plus, there was a TON of fantastic action. I like it when books keep moving. Kagawa kept up a steady pace of entertaining dialogue, twists and turns, and sword-play (complete with battle clothing in gauntlets and armor).


The Bad

The only bad that I caught while reading this one was that Meghan got so upset with Puck over something that should make her upset, but not as outrageously as it came across. Something similar had happened previously with a different reaction from her. However, given how quickly she moved away from this and began growing into a stronger more selfless character, I was not very bothered by it.

The Romance

I must say that I love Ash. The two of them around each other now are wonderful. He was so different, so open, and was a character that it's obvious has a wall up but has let Meghan in and therefore me as the reader. There's some definite romance in this one.

Conclusion

Anything that I didn't like about the previous books was absent from this one. The Iron Queen is a fantastic read with absolutely fabulous characters, a story that was beyond entertaining, and an ending that made me dive into the next one immediately. WHILE I was reading parts of the book, I still didn't know how things were going to turn out just two paragraphs later. It was more intense and had more twists and turns. Please read this series because I absolutely have to talk to you about it!! Definitely recommended.



Excerpts

“Oh, of course, I thought, as my gut twisted and sank down to my toes. This impossible situation also comes with a time limit. No pressure."

"For a moment, I had the surreal feeling of being in the center of a medieval fantasy film, Lord of the Rings style, with all the knights and horses rushing back and forth. Then the full realization hit, making me slightly nauseous. This wasn't a movie. This was a real battle, with real creatures that would do their best to kill me."

"His candor surprised me. I was still getting used to this new Ash, this faery who talked and smiled instead of hiding behind an icy wall of indifference."

"How are you doing this, human?" he demanded, lashing his tail in agitation. "You have been here only once, and it is impossible for mortals to memorize directions so quickly. How do you know you are going the right way?"
     "I don't know," i muttered, taking us down yet another side passage. "I just do."
Puck's bark of laughter startled me. "See?" he crowed, pointing at Grimalkin, who flattened his ears at him. You see how irritating that is? Remember that, next time you - hey!" he called as Grimalkin disappeared. "Yeah, I can't see you, but I know you can still hear me!"

14 comments:

  1. Jennifer SilverwoodMarch 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

    I've seen this series around a while now and have always been interested in reading it. Your review certainly helped make my decision. Soon as I get rid of this back up pile of to-read/review lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to read this one soon. I have read the other books up until this point. I don't know why I stopped, guess there are just too many books in my TBR pile. Thanks for the review!

    -Sycho

    Sycho Faerie's Book Obsession

    ReplyDelete
  3. The review is out! As always I'm behind on my reading for the month lol. You are right, it's hard not to post spoilers when you're talking about a sequel. I had to skip it for now

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've hit over 400 GFC followers! That is so great. I'm tweating your review, but I have to wait to read it. I haven't started this series yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I skimmed since i still need to read the series, but it seems like is was all sorts of awesome. Happy to know it gets better with each book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was my favorite. :) Yep. I'm with you. I need to get to Iron Knight still. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm so glad! This is a great series :D I understand about that pile though...it can definitely be hard to tear down. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a lot of books in that pile! I hope you get to this one though because it is so great. Thank you very much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very hard to keep from spoiling - I understand :D Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much! I understand :D I hope you do read it. It's fantastic. I really appreciate you stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes all sorts of awesome :D This one was definitely my fav so far. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sooo good! I agree - fav so far :D I'm reading The Iron Knight right now - about 50% through. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you about the amazingness of the secondary characters, they have so many layers.

    I am an Ash lover myself and I think this was my fave.

    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can tell how much you really loved this book, Jaclyn! I love it when a book leaves you feeling like this. :) I'll have to get this one read so we can discuss! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!