Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Letter to Authors


I know that without authors I would not be able to indulge in my favorite hobby of all time...reading. So I’m writing this to authors everywhere to let you know how I feel.

Did you know that I don’t like whipped cream? I don’t care for pies either or peach cobbler for that matter. I don’t drink coffee and I don’t like horror movies or roller coasters. I also can’t stand Thanksgiving Day food and Oreos give me Migraines. Someone out there gasped at one of those! This just goes to show that we all vary widely in our likes and dislikes, and as the old saying goes, “one person’s garbage is another’s treasure”.

I’d like to think that my role in the process is to get word of your work out to more readers whether I loved your book, liked your book, or thought it was ok. No matter my personal rating, I still feel that someone, somewhere would enjoy knowing more about it and may find those particular things about it that I didn’t like more to their tastes.

Just because I didn’t like one aspect of your book (like insta-love, a love triangle, or a character’s reaction to a circumstance), there are other readers out there who crave these elements in their readings. I like to be specific when I say that I felt something was ‘bad’ in a book because other readers out there may really enjoy it instead.

Now, let me just say that I’m in graphic design and have been for 11 years now. I hear comments like, “I hate that!” and “Oh, that’s beautiful!” all the time. Generally, without anything constructive said. It is a good thing that I have thick skin or the comments would probably bother me. Thankfully, I know that we each have different tastes so I don’t take things personally when I hear them tear down something that I may have spent days on with a one sentence comment of dislike.

I hope that by mentioning all the things that I do like about the books that I read along with whatever I disliked, you don’t feel like you have to be as tough-skinned because someone is tearing apart your baby. What I mean is that I hope you focus on those positive statements and only look to the negative if you agree that those are ways that you can improve your work.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts, ideas, and stories with me. I have the utmost respect for the imaginative worlds you can weave with your words and the characters you create that I dearly want to learn more about.

Thank you!

10 comments:

  1. This is a neat post because a lot of us write to tell a story we really want others to read. I read a interview from an author who said her readers play no part in creating her stories. That turned me off so fast. Writing starts with living your life. Ideas swim in your head and dance on little post it notes. But a file on the computer is a lonely thing. We want our books read, that means we invite you into the process of storytelling. And anything goes from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY :D Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still recovering from the part where you state you don't like coffee. *picks chin up of floor* This is a wonderful post (letter) and you made good points. I have loathed and loved books that others have felt the opposite about, differences are why we have so many genres and categories. I for one wouldn't change any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said, Robyn! I love that take on writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe...I can see how that would be the one to surprise you! I get my caffeine every morning with a Dr. Pepper. You are so right about all the genres and categories available because of all of our differences. Thank you very much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this letter. I can't believe you don't like Thanksgiving food. Wah!!!! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!! I've started cooking Thanksgiving food so I make more items that I'll actually eat. I am more a fan of Ham than Turkey and I make a twice baked potato casserole that I really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great letter, Jaclyn! I love your review format. I also try express that reading is a personal experience...not every book works for everybody. And just because I don't like something doesn't mean they won't.


    I'm so sorry Oreos give you migraines...they're one of my favorite special treats! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! Exactly :D


    I know a lot of people love Oreos...I don't know why they do that to me. I'm glad you are enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!