Friday, July 19, 2013

Sidekick Showcase [32] - Mentor


Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fit's in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

Here are the July Topics:
July 26th - Cowboy

This week is Mentor

My choice is Cinna
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Cinna Picture Created by Jaclyn Canada based on Lenny Kravitz's Portrayal
Katniss meets Cinna as her stylist for The Hunger Games. He is the first person that she meets from The Capitol that she finds endearing and she grows close to him and trusts him pretty quickly. Cinna truly doesn't get enough page time for how great a character he is. He is actually thought about by Katniss more often than he is in the books. She looks to him as a guide in her thoughts as to how she should act and what he would expect of her. Without giving too much away, he truly shapes her character and her growth throughout the series.

Quotes:


Catching Fire-
“Remember, girl on fire,” he says, “I'm still betting on you.”



The Hunger Games-
“Not exactly. You see, Portia and I think that the coal miner thing's very overdone. No one will remember you in that. And we both see it has our job to make District 12 tributes unforgettable," says Cinna.
I'll be naked for sure, I think.
"So rather than focus on the coal mining itself, we're going to focus on the coal," says Cinna.
Naked and covered in black dust, i think.
"And what do we do with coal? We burn it," says Cinna. "You're not afraid of fire, are you, Katniss?" He sees my expression and grins.



The Hunger Games-
My mouth has gone dry as sawdust. I desperately find Cinna in the crowd and lock eyes with him. I imagine the words coming from his lips. "What's impressed you most since you arrived here?" I rack my brain for something that made me happy here. Be honest, I think. Be honest.




The Hunger Games-
“That's right. Who am I thinking of? Oh, I know. It's Cinna who likes you. But that's mainly because you didn't try to run when he set you on fire," says Peeta. "On the other hand, Haymitch... well, if I were you, I'd avoid Haymitch completely. He hates you.”



Mockingjay-
"The question is, what are you going to do?"
It turns out the question that's been eating away at me has only ever had one possible answer. But it took Peeta's ploy for me to recognize it.
What am I going to do?
I take a deep breath. My arms rise slightly - as if recalling the black-and-white wings Cinna gave me - then come to rest at my sides.
"I'm going to be the Mockingjay.”



The Hunger Games -
“The pounding music, the cheers, the admiration work their way into my blood, and I can’t suppress my excitement. Cinna has given me a great advantage. No one will forget me. Not my look, not my name. Katniss. The girl who was on fire.”


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

17 comments:

  1. Cinna is perfect for mentor! You are so right that he doesn't get enough page time. He's one of my favorite characters. He's so good to Katniss. He's plain good. You're drawing (or should I say graphic?) is perfect. I love it! Have a great weekend, Jaclyn. And I see that you're reading Frost Burned. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angelas Anxious LifeJuly 20, 2013 at 12:54 AM

    I love Cinna. I wish he was in the books more too!!! The movie portrayal of him toned him down a little bit for me but was still good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read the series. I've only seen the movie. I liked him in the movies, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinna is one of my favorite Hunger Games characters. He makes such a huge impact on the story in relatively few pages. Great pick! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, Cinna is an excellent choice, Jaclyn!! And in all the time I spent trying to choose a mentor this week, he NEVER crossed my mind! And I loved him! LOL


    I love your drawing too - I'm always wow'd by your talent! :)


    Have a wonderful weekend, Jaclyn! I'm heading out to sit and read in my fav reading spot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Cinna and your drawing is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He's got to be one of my favorites in this series for sure! He is just plain good :D Yes, I'm almost done with Frost Burned. Gobbling it up!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that he was toned down in the movie. You know, they didn't really narrate the first movie with her thoughts so I'm wondering how they will show how often she refers back to what Cinna thinks in the future movies. I'm looking forward to seeing how they will show that. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The series is a part of my favorites of all-time. The movie, I love as well, but all that 'quietness' in the movie is actually spent in Katniss' head during the book so I hope you give it a go one day. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. He really does! In just a few pages, he MAKES her. He's a very powerful side character and I just love him to pieces :D Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't he great? Thank you so much :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you :D I was thinking Haymitch at first actually, and then was like, no he wasn't the TRUE mentor of the story even though that was his role. I think he could be used for this one still, but I like Cinna better! Have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. CINNA!! I love this choice. What a really quiet, but really profound character.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Cinna is such an awesome choice, Jaclyn! I love him both in the books and in the movie! And your drawing is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you :D I like him in both too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!