Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: Obsession by Jennifer Armentrout

Published: May 31, 2013 Entangled Publishing, LLC (Covet)
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Obsession by Jennifer ArmentroutGoodreads Summary 

This is a stand alone novel that is an adult spin-off

of the Lux Series

He’s arrogant, domineering, and... To. Die. For.

Hunter is a ruthless killer. And the Department of Defense has him firmly in their grasp, which usually doesn’t chafe too badly because he gets to kill bad guys. Most of the time he enjoys his job. That is, until he’s saddled with something he’s never had to do before: protect a human from his mortal enemy.

Serena Cross didn’t believe her best friend when she claimed to have seen the son of a powerful senator turn into something... unnatural. Who would? But then she witnesses her friend’s murder at the hands of what can only be an alien, thrusting her into a world that will kill to protect their secret.


Hunter stirs Serena’s temper and her lust despite their differences. Soon he’s doing the unthinkable—breaking the rules he’s lived by, going against the government to keep Serena safe. But are the aliens and the government the biggest threats to Serena’s life… or is it Hunter?


"Most Guys Aren't Human"


This story is a stand-alone in the Lux Series stories and is adult rather than YA. I admit the covers on The Lux Series have always been pretty hot, but this one blows them out of the water. You can tell immediately that it's more adult just by looking at the two of them, and I was mighty intrigued to see if we could get a character like Daemon that I didn't feel like an old lady for swooning over. You don't see muscles like that on a teenager.

The Good


When I started reading The Lux Series, I didn't know how much I was going to get into a story about aliens, especially if one of them was supposed to be swoon-worthy, but Armentrout has really created a complex and lovable world here. In Obsession, Hunter is an Arum, which is the enemy to the Luxen. My favorite cocky, crush-able alien, Daemon, just happens to be a Luxen, so this unique look into the mind of the other side is worth the read in and of itself. The rose-colored glasses are off, I got a look through his eyes at how most Luxen truly are (as well as Arum). After reading this one, there is no black and white. It's a lot of shades of grey.

Obsession switches POV between Hunter and Serena who is a human. Hunter is a "bad" guy. He is the epitome of hot bad boys everywhere. He's bossy, arrogant, strong, prone to breaking rules, and he likes beautiful women. He's given an assignment that he's very unhappy about and the pages proceed to smoke a little around the edges from there. If you thought the laptop scene was great, just wait until you read the study scene. Armentrout is such an excellent writer, the snark and chemistry just flowed the whole time I read.

It was nice to see a couple of cameos and not only that but this one really sets the stage for Origin. The central plot of this book aligns so well in the world that I gleaned a few tidbits about what will come in the future for Daemon and Katy as well.

The Bad

The only little thing of mention is that there were times that Serena said something that sounded just like something that Kat would say. I think it would be pretty hard to keep anything like that from happening though when it's the same author's voice supplying the dialogue and the characters have similar personalities.

The Romance

This is just my kind of romance. Hunter and Serena really don't want to have anything to do with each other, but you cannot deny the chemistry. They get an A+ in that class! Everything builds naturally and the romance and hesitancy all feels real. I really like these two together on the same page.


Conclusion

You don't have to read any of the previous Lux books to enjoy this story about Hunter and Serena, but my humble opinion is why on Earth would you skip such a great series? The writing is fun, easy to read through in one-sitting, and includes repetitive use of one of my favorite words: ninja. The characters are so easy to love and the romance is rocking that house. The story-line and action are intense at times and I got to see a recognized face a time or two. I wouldn't miss this one at all if you are a Lux fan or if you enjoy Paranormal Romance!



Excerpts

"Miss Cross?" His voice was like whiskey, deep and smooth, but there was something about the hard line of his jaw that said the man didn't smile a lot. Two eyes such a pale blue they seemed to lack color stared back into mine.

"Don't come near me."
One single brow went up. "Wasn't planning on it, but I at least thought there'd be a 'thank you for saving my life' statement thrown in."
"You're not human," I said slowly.
"And that obviously has nothing to do with the fact I saved your life," he replied. 
Maybe not, but I was beyond caring. There was a dead...something on my floor and a whatever standing in front of me. "Thank you, but please-"
"That didn't sound sincere, but it doesn't matter. We-"
He had taken a step toward me, and I shrieked, "Don't touch me!"

Hunter leaned in again, bringing our mouths within kissing distance. Restlessness unfurled, spreading through my veins, spiking my pulse. I froze. 

17 comments:

  1. So happy this was a good one. I got nervous with is being from the other side of the alien spectrum, but it seems to have worked out. And I like me some adult alien books because I know that means more steaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steamy aliens...mmmm. I'm not much for erotica, but I do like good sci-fi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start this series! It seems like just the right amount of hot and steamy I like to read :) Great review Jaclyn! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't resist buying this when I saw it for 99 cents. I was hoping that it'd tie in well to the Lux books, and it definitely sounds like it does (can't wait to see who makes a cameo in this!). Awesome review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I have this one. I like that she went with the same Lux world, but from the adult side of things. Another book I want to read sooner than my list will allow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica@a GREAT readJuly 10, 2013 at 1:54 PM

    Awesome review!! I still need to read this one! So behind it seems, I tend to forget about my Kindle books because I don't "see" them like I do with the towering piles of books in front of my bookcase!! Love the Lux books and so glad I finally read them--I had some misgivings on them but then bought the first one on sale for my kindle, then proceeded to buy the real book.



    Needless to say I fell in love! Soooooo need to read this one and will be sure to put it up in my mental reading list soon!


    Again, awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, and that cover. Something is happening with those eyes too. Ooo. Sounding so good. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Learning about the Arum was so interesting! And it's definitely smoking hot. I think you will like it a lot. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's very good sci-fi, but the romance it built up well and there's really only a couple of scenes so it's not the whole book. The chemistry between the two and flirting really do make it hot. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your day's been great :D I think you would really enjoy this series a lot. I can't wait until you give it a try! Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly! I actually wasn't expecting any cameos at all, but I'm not spoiling that. I look forward to what you think about it :D Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL I completely understand. I really like the switch-up too. I was wondering how well it would come across, but she did a fantastic job. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great series! I can't wait to see what you think about this one when you get to it. I can understand what you mean about the Kindle books and sometimes forgetting about them. This one is worth it though ;) Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes his eyes are so gorgeous :D They are like the palest blue and he has black hair. Sounds fantastic to me. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh goodness, Jaclyn! I CANNOT wait to read Obsession! I completely agree with you about that cover! IT.IS.HOT! ;) I love the Lux series but haven't had time to read Obsession yet. BUT this review makes me think I just might be taking this one on vacation at the end of the month. :) Thanks for the spectacular review and that excerpt shows some of that snark you (and I) love so much!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL We were commenting on each other's blogs at the same time :D I'm so thrilled that you will be reading this one soon. It is fantastic! Very much looking forward to what you say about it. Gotta love that snark. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh really? Well, then, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!