Sunday, July 21, 2013

Harry Potter Moment of the Week [5] - Catching Up 2 Week's Worth


This is a meme hosted by Uncorked Thoughts.The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! She is picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All she asks is to link back to her blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here.

I'm catching up for 2 week's worth so there are two questions I'm answering. The first is for what is my favorite odd thing in the Harry Potter Universe and the other is a free Harry Potter topic of my choosing.


Thestral Picture Created by Jaclyn Canada

My favorite odd thing in the Harry Potter Universe besides a person, is the thestral.

They aren't necessarily my favorite creature overall, but as far as being odd, and such a work of Rowling's creativity, I LOVE them! I've never read about a creature like them before. Harry and crew ride to the school on horseless carriages and then one day, Harry suddenly sees these scary looking horses pulling them instead. No one else can see them so he believes he has gone a bit crazy, and really doesn't feel much better when he finds out that Luna is one of the only people that can see them as well. She believes in all manner of wild animals that most of the crew believe don't exist so he doesn't have much hope that what he's seeing are really there. However, the thestrals are only seen by a select few that have seen death in their past, making them scarier and misunderstood. I really enjoyed how much they kept appearing as transportation for the characters due to their stealth and ability to find places so well.

My Free Topic is PotterMore:

 Zane and  I are on PotterMore in the Huffepuff house. I'll say that we both thought we would get in the Ravenclaw house more, but after some thought, we realized that being considered loyal and true really does fit our characters so we would take it. I enjoy reading through the books and collecting items. I think doing the potions are pretty fun as well. Zane likes to do the spells more. Are you a part of the Pottermore World? What house are you in? If you would like to friend me, my user name is DragonThorn23958.

12 comments:

  1. Love the thestral illustration! I haven't been on Pottermore in ages; I don't even remember my user name- I have it written down somewhere, lol. I do know I'm in Ravenclaw, and the couple of times I visited the site, I had a lot of fun making potions, too. I was terrible at casting spells, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww the Thestrals! I love that you create so many really amazing pictures to go with your posts - they're so good!
    I am also on Pottermore, in Ravenclaw haha. My username is PhoenixRiver19492

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :D That's so funny because I signed up when it first came about looong ago, and then just got back into it recently with Zane. There are a lot of new chapters available that weren't before. I'm really bad at casting spells as well. I'm more patient with the potions. I think the laptop hampers my spell casting abilities LOL. Zane loves to duel with people though. I wish she would add quidditch and wizard's chess. I would play those in a heart-beat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you :D I really enjoy getting to draw the Harry Potter pictures - they are a lot of fun! I think it's pretty funny that we thought we were a shoe-in for Ravenclaw and were put in Hufflepuff instead. It hurt Zane's heart a bit at first, but it is what it is. We've fully accepted it and fight hard for the house cup :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angelas Anxious LifeJuly 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

    Adding you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angelas Anxious LifeJuly 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

    Love your drawing of the Thestral! GREAT job. I agree that is a need odd thing in the Potter books. To see the Thestrals come alive in the movie is really cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thestrals really are awesome, I found them fascinating!
    And Pottermore is just hands down the bees knees! I love it, I'm one of the beta users, one of the first ones up there, and I have been obsessed since the start! I hope the last few chapters of PoA come soon! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much :D That was great getting to see them come to life! I really enjoyed the moment in the woods with Luna and Harry and the thestrals. I really appreciate you stopping by - have a great rest of the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a beta user as well. I signed up initially right when it was first formed and then got back into it recently with Zane when he started loving HP. Thank you so much for adding me :D I haven't started getting friends on there yet so I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't even really remember Thestrals. lol he drawing is awesome though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's pretty funny to me that you don't remember them lol, but they are placed throughout the series pretty sporadically. Thank you :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. YES! Thestrals got a mention from me too for this week's MotW, I just think they're brilliant and wicked original!

    I also thought I would be a Ravenclaw but I ended up being sorted in Gryffindor. I've made a note of your user name and I'll be adding you next time I go on :) Thanks for sharing & for stopping by earlier!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!