Friday, July 5, 2013

Sidekick Saturday [30] - Soldier

Sidekick Saturday
Sidekick Saturday is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in this week's type
• Share a picture (if possible) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• Put your link in the Linky thing and comment

July 13th - Strange
July 19th - Mentor
July 26th - Cowboy

This week is Soldier

My choice is Clarisse La Rue
The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordin

Clarisse La Rue Picture Created by Jaclyn Canada

In honor of the July 4th holiday, or Independence Day, celebrated in the U.S., I wanted to choose the theme of soldier for this week's sidekick. I have mad respect for any person that wears the uniform since I know that I don't have the chops to make it in that situation.

We've been discussing wars in our books this week as well for the holiday and since I went with Percy Jackson for my Feature and Follow Friday post, I wanted to follow it up further by highlighting a character from the series for my Sidekick Saturday. One of the most ferocious soldiers in the story is Clarisse, who is the daughter of Ares, the God of War. She is the head of her cabin at their Camp Halfblood.

I find Clarisse to be such a fun character. She comes off abrasive at first and gives Percy a very hard time when he meets her. She IS a bit of a bully and exceptionally stubborn, but I still like her. Mostly this is because she wants to prove that she is worthy of being Ares' daughter. Throughout the series though, she shows that she can grow as a character and she really does have the battle prowess to back up her mouth. In the last book, she was one of the shining stars in the war and showed that there's no doubt that she's Ares' girl.

In the movie that is coming out in August, Percy Jackson and The Sea of Monsters, Clarisse plays a pretty large part and will be portrayed by Leven Rambin. She was Glimmer in The Hunger Games. The first movie didn't follow the book well at all, but from what I've seen about this one, it looks like it will more closely resemble the story. 

Quotes:


"I AM CLARISSE, DRAKON-SLAYER! I will kill you ALL! Where is Kronos? Bring him out! Is he a coward?" - The Last Olympian



“Grilled satyr with mango chutney," Polyphemus mused. He looked back at Clarisse, still hanging over the pot of boiling water. "You a satyr too?"
"No, you overgrown pile of dung!" she yelled. "I'm a girl! The daughter of Ares! Now untie me so i can rip your arms off!"
"Rip my arms off," Polyphemus repeated.
"And stuff them down your throat!"
"You got spunk.” - The Sea of Monsters



Annabeth: "Meet Clarisse, Daughter of Ares."
Percy: "Like...the war god?"
Clarisse: "You got a problem with that?"  - The Lightening Thief




“It's our loot!" he yelled, standing on his tiptoes so he could get in Clarisse's face. "If you don't like it, you can kiss my quiver!” - The Last Olympian



“I started to walk away, but she [Clarisse] called out, "Percy?"
"Yeah?"
"When you, uh, had that vision about your friends..."
"You were one of them," I promised, "Just don't tell anybody, okay? Or I'd have to kill you."
A faint smile flickered across her face "See you later."
"See you” - The Lost Demigod Files


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

19 comments:

  1. A perfect kick-ass sidekick..awesome choose and love the quotes you chose for her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great theme for fourth of July. I don't know the character but she sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an awesome character, Jaclyn. I haven't read the Percy Jackson books... And I'm sorry I'm so late today - it took me forever to come up with my soldier sidekick. I've been thinking since yesterday, and only now did it suddenly come to me :)

    Have a spectacular Saturday! and thanks so much for hosting us again today :) *hugs*

    My Soldier Sidekick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great character, I haven't read this one yet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read The Lightning Thief (definitely need to get caught up with the rest of the books), and Clarisse was rather intimidating! Glad to hear that she grows throughout the series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Clarisse is a perfect choice, Jaclyn! She is rather bossy but still likeable. And you've done an outstanding on the picture. I even showed it to my kids who all said she is almost exactly as they pictured her! Well done! :) Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to read this series. Even though the first movie does its own thing I really liked it. Sounds the next one is even better. I like Clarisse's character, hardcore arrogant fighter. Even the picture you created has her challenging any who dare to look at her. hehe


    Have a great weekend! I have a few ideas for this one.We'll see what my mom and sis add.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quotes with her are a lot of fun. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's one of those characters that holds everyone at a distance and they are all afraid of her in the beginning of the series and we get to see growth throughout while she still keeps her core personality. I really enjoy getting to watch characters shaped that well while reading a story. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some of these themes are definitely harder than others, but I took creative license with the word 'soldier'. She's a soldier, but not in the immediate way you would think.


    I'm thinking about changing the name of it to Sidekick Spotlight, and still posting mine on Saturday but letting everyone else post their's any day of the following week that's convenient for them, and that way no will will feel cornered about having to have it on that day. I know Jodie sometimes posts her's on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She certainly is an interesting one! I enjoyed watching her go from being a bully to getting her karma and growing in a little more caring character with a select few friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yes! She's definitely stays intimidating throughout, but they grow to love her for it if you know what I mean. She can show a vulnerable side every now and then. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I'm so glad they like it! I can take credit for the picture, but not so much the way she looks because that is how Leven will be looking in the upcoming movie :D There are only a couple of pictures on the internet showing what she will look like and I drew it together based on those few images of her. Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really liked the first movie as well! I started reading the books after watching the movie, but the book is very different from it. I'm not one of those readers that really mind it a whole lot because I just take it as more time spent with characters that I love. The second one does look like it follows the book more closely though and even has Annabeth with blonde hair like she's supposed to have. Can't wait to see what you all come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I guess that means they've done a good job casting. :) I don't know that we'll see the movie. My kids don't like watching movies based on books. They say movies can't compete with their imaginations...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that's so cute! I completely understand :D I love movies too much for me to be the same way, but I do get it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a good idea :) I'm quite happy with having it on the weekend, because I usually don't schedule my reviews on Saturdays or Sundays :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've not read this series. The kiddo has the first book, but I don't even know if he finished it or not. I do want to get to them. I like the mythology in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I hope he likes it! I LOVE all the mythology in it. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!