Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Review: Deity (The Covenant #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Published: October 31, 2012 by Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fantasy
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Goodreads Summary

"History is on repeat, and things didn't go so well the last time. "


Alexandria isn't sure she's going to make it to her eighteenth birthday--to her Awakening. A long-forgotten, fanatical order is out to kill her, and if the Council ever discovers what she did in the Catskills, she's a goner... and so is Aiden.

If that's not freaky enough, whenever Alex and Seth spend time "training"--which really is just Seth's code word for some up-close and personal one-on-one time--she ends up with another mark of the Apollyon, which brings her one step closer to Awakening ahead of schedule. Awesome.

But as her birthday draws near, her entire world shatters with a startling revelation and she's caught between love and Fate. One will do anything to protect her. One has been lying to her since the beginning. Once the gods have revealed themselves, unleashing their wrath, lives will be irrevocably changed... and destroyed.

Those left standing will discover if love is truly greater than Fate...


The Good


I read this in one sitting. Then I came to that ending! UGH Armentrout has a knack of tearing you up with an ending and have you salivating for the next book. I'm going to take a bit of a break on this series though after this one and finish the rest later.

So much happens. I'm loving the mythology that runs rampant through the story and how that aspect is so different from what I've read before. I just love these characters as well. I think it's great that Alex has a hard time really trusting anyone and it makes me suspicious of EVERYONE while reading. Even characters she may not be.

While I did call one of the surprises, I was still surprised by other twists that took place. Just about everyone should have at least one shock, even those that are excellent at predicting what could come. The story is rocketing into new territory by the end of this one. Deity is definitely a book that turns the series on its head.

The Bad


Alex goes through so much in Deity, but her choices have a way of landing her in a bunch of trouble. While I love her, that's definitely an area of her character that I hope to enjoy seeing more growth in through future books.

The Romance


Alex does have two guys vying for her attention, but the truth is I've only felt that one is a viable option. I really liked where this one went in terms of romance. It really moved things along on that front.

Conclusion


Deity is full of twists and surprises. Some you may see coming, but I bet you won't be able to guess them all. There is a good amount of action and intensity. There are truths revealed and some great depths into the characters with more background information revealed. Alex does have a habit of making some wrong choices, and I do hope to see that part of her character grow in the future. The ending is one that will have you yelling at Armentrout for a bit. Recommended.



1 comment:

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!