Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review: Twisted Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport #2) by Shay West


Published: July 24th 2014 by Booktrope Editions
Genre: YA, Time Travel
Format: ebook
Source: provided for honest review
Goodreads Summary

Alexis Davenport is learning to come to grips with her ability to travel through time, but she still hasn’t been able to stop the evil Drifter and his Master from trying to alter the past.

When she travels back to ancient Egypt, Alex gets a most unexpected surprise; she meets someone who can help her figure out how to use her powers, another Traveler like herself.

But can Alex learn how to control her gift before Drifter finds a way to stop her from meddling in his Master’s plans?

"So you're the little bitch that's been foiling my master's plans. This is getting very troublesome."



The Good

Well I really liked how Twisted Reflections throws Alex a loop...a new traveler named Sean. This new traveler has a master and claims that masters seek out travelers. Where the hell is her teacher right? Drifter does a great job helping you root against him. Really like that in a villain.

The Bad

The Ending for Twisted Reflections just kind of arrives out of nowhere. It didn't feel like a cliff hanger as much as it felt like the word cap was hit and it was time to start book 3.

The Romance

Ah the romance, we get to see her first date and her first kiss. But is her first love her true love? Heck is it love at all? Shall we call it a crush? Hormones? Temporary insanity?

Conclusion

Overall I thought this was a great YA book. The adventure was enjoyable, the characters relatable and the villain hateable. This is a series I can see myself re-reading in the future just because I liked the characters and the concept. I just wish the ending of Twisted Reflections didn't feel so rushed.




Excerpts


Alex felt as though her heart would burst. She giggled and hugged him tight. He said girlfriend!

"Why didn't you ever tell me you were such a Freak?" The look of love changed to one of revulsion and fear.

"It's the master's tome. An ancient text handed down from Master to Master. Each one adds to it as they see fit. There are as many books as there are Masters."

Drifter pinched the bridge of his nose. "I'm thinking we need to stop this plan. The more I learn, the more I realize how much danger I'm in from this girl, And if she has help, then it's even worse for me."


10 comments:

  1. Hmm I am not a huge fan of time travel so I might have to skip this one or wait until the series is finished to see if it gets better. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The characters and concept do sound great, sorry the romance wasn't all it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Egypt... anything to do with it. I need more Egypt books in my life. Did you read the first book in the series??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did like the original take on time travel in this series. And I have a good feeling on the ending of this series. (I've read the 3rd book) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept really made this series for me. Well that and the fact that the characters were so real.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure did, we even did a review here on Wednesday the 20th if you want to check if out. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok thanks.. I was interested to see what you thought of that one! Of course.. that review was posted the week I was a little behind on blogging! LOL! I am going to check it out now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the top quote. Sounds good but a hate abrupt endings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'll have to let me know what you think :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you're still enjoying the series despite this installment not being stellar. Abrupt endings make my left eye twitch. I hope #3 makes it all worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!