Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Review: Dangerous Reflections (Adventures of Alexis Davenport #1) by Shay West


Published: June 17th 2014 by Booktrope Editions
Genre: YA, Time Travel
Format: ebook
Source: provided for honest review
Goodreads Summary

Alexis Davenport wants to go home. She hates her new school, her mother for moving her away from her friends, and her father for walking out.

To make matters worse, Alex is haunted by images of strange girls reflected in her mirror. It’s bad enough juggling homework, a relentless bully, boys, and a deadbeat dad; now, she must save the world from an evil presence hell-bent on changing the past – and our futures. Who knew her A+ in history was going to be this important?

"Alex, I have no choice. We have no money for rent and I can't find work. Your aunt Karen is giving me a job in her store but only if we can get to Grand Junction this weekend."



The Good

For starters, the development of the characters was believable to me. In particular, our heroine, Alex. Right away, I felt a connection with her, having to leave her best friends right as the dreaded freshman year was about to start. This wasn't an over the top high school environment bullying wise. It was the type of bullying your parents would expect you to deal with. I like how her time travel gift works. I love that she doesn't have any real control and just kind of waits and dreads when her next trip will be.

The Bad

Let's just say Alex's mom is not my favorite book mom ever. She's a little strict and a bit over bearing for me, but oh well.

The Romance

The romance is fun as you get to experience that first love, first date and first kiss all through Alex eye's.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed Dangerous Reflections. I liked the particular places chosen to visit in the past. There wasn't much down time with this book at all. Once I started reading it, I was able to stay involved in the story and lose track of a Saturday afternoon.






Excerpts


I can't believe I am actually in sixteenth-century Venice about to hear the Veronica Franco recite some of her very own poetry.

"Alex... this is beginning to sound a lot less romantic than it did last time. You could have been hurt, or killed." Jennifer ran her hands over her face. "I wonder what would have happened if he had managed to cut your throat." Jennifer gulped audibly.


"Legend has it that there are travelers born that have extraordinary abilities. They can travel without the use of a mirror if need be. They are knowledgeable about history. It is this gift that enables them to preserve the time line."


7 comments:

  1. Awww, all the firsts. I love reading about young love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun relive freshman year type book. except with time travel and such. well unless you know you can travel in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was drawn to this book because of the time travel element, Matt. But now I'm excited over a strong female lead that you can connect with. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For sure. I enjoy awesome female protagonists but at the same time i need them to be believable and Alex was that. She was strong but at the same time she was a high school student in my eyes and made high school student mistakes. I loved that about her. Thanks for stopping by. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You won't regret that choice. Alex is a great lead character who has her flaws which make her real and bring the story to life. I think you'll enjoy it :D

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!