Friday, May 30, 2014

Sidekick Showcase [78] - True Blue


Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

May is Mom Month!

I have a few topic ideas for June (Thanks Robyn!):
The month of June is LGBT Pride Month so we can celebrate those characters that we love. Also we have Father's day so we can celebrate dads or characters we think would make good fathers. There are a lot of summer trips taken in June as well so we can pay tribute to those characters we would hate to travel with or just characters that remind us of summer trips for one reason or another.

My choice is Sally Jackson
The Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordin

Sally Jackson picture created by Jaclyn Canada

This mother for sure is in a competition for best literature moms. She is a mortal mom to Greek demi-god Percy Jackson. She married Gabe Ugliano who not only smells horrible, but is also just a foul guy in general. He takes advantage of her and is THAT MAN, you know the one that expects their wifie to cook and clean and run errands so when they are not done according to his schedule, he gets mouthy and handsy. He's the type of guy that I hate. Plus, he can't stand her kid. The reason though that she married him is FOR Percy which he finds out in the story. 

She also really loves the color blue. Because of an argument that she got into with Gabe about food not able to be blue, she does everything she can to create blue foods for her and Percy to eat. This is one of those weird little quirks characters can have that I find adorable. 

The real kicker, she died for her son. Read the story! She loves her boy more than anything. 

Quotes:


“I hoped I wasn't blushing. It was bad enough I had to depend on my mom to drive me to my battles.”




“[My mom's] funny that way, celebrating special occasions with blue food. I think it's her way of saying anything is possible. Percy can pass seventh grade. Waffles can be blue. Little miracles like that.”




“She whirled when the monster was almost on top of her. I thought the thing in her hands was an umbrella until she cranked the pump and the shotgun blast blew the giant twenty feet backwards, right into Nico's sword.
"Nice one," Paul said.
"When did you learn to fire a shotgun?" I demanded.
My mom blew the hair out of her face. "About two seconds ago. Percy, we'll be fine. Go!” 



"The moral?" Hermes asked. "Goodness, you act like it's a fable. It's a true story. Does truth have a moral?"
"Um ..."
"How about this: stealing is not always bad?"
"I don't think my mom would like that moral."
Rats are delicious, suggested George.
What does that have to do with the story? Martha demanded.
Nothing, George said. But I'm hungry.
"I've got it," Hermes said. "Young people don't always do what they're told, but if they can pull it off and do something wonderful, sometimes they escape punishment. How's that?”



“Ever come home and found your room messed up? Like some helpful person (hi, Mom) has tried to “clean” it, and suddenly you can’t find anything? And even if nothing is missing, you get that creepy feeling like somebody’s been looking through your private stuff and dusting everything with lemon furniture polish?” 


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!