Friday, November 1, 2013

Sidekick Showcase [48] - Fairytale


Sidekick Showcase, previously known as Sidekick Saturday, is a weekly bookish meme, hosted here by Jaclyn at JC's Book Haven. There are many secondary characters that are as great as the primaries. In some cases, the sidekicks actually steal the show and you like them better than the heroine or hero. Maybe they didn't have enough page time for how great they were. Anyone can play along! I will post my Sidekicks on Saturday, then whichever day during the week that you would like to post yours, you can put your link in on my page. Just do the following:

• Choose a sidekick *or someone other than the hero or heroine* that you would like to put in the spotlight that fits in the week's topic
• Share a picture (if you can) and information about the character
• Give the title and author of a book the character can be found in
• Please don't include too many spoilers when describing why the character is such a great sidekick
• The day of your post, put your link in below and grab the code for your post so you can see the others that post their's throughout the week as well

Next week is Lady's Man

This week is Fairy-tale

My choice is Grumpy
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
and Once Upon a Time

Grumpy Picture created by Jaclyn Canada

Grumpy from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs lives up to his name. He is contrary. He is the first one to question why they should allow this strange woman to stay in their home and the only one to vote against it (which is really what any sane person would do!). Of course, I selected a character that actually got his personality and like-ability from the Disney version of the story, but I'm rolling with it. Grumpy acts like he doesn't care about Snow for most of the film, but it shows so much especially when he's on a mission to rescue her.

Now, most of you know that Once Upon A Time is my favorite show. So there will never be a better Grumpy for me than the one Lee Arenberg portrays. This character takes such a turn in the show with an amazing back-story. I really enjoyed getting to know more about why he is Grumpy and what makes him tick. I don't think anyone could play it better. He's still by Snow's side and with the other dwarfs, but he stands out among them and rallies them together. He's also in jail a lot, but that's beside the point.

Quotes:

Grumpy: Angel, ha! She's a female! And all females is poison! They're full of wicked wiles!
Bashful: What are wicked wiles?
Grumpy: I don't know, but I'm agin' 'em.



Doc: Shh! Not so loud. You'll wake her up.
Grumpy: Ah, let her wake up! She don't belong here nohow!



From Once Upon a Time:

Leroy: No one touches our crop.
Anton: Your crop? I thought you guys were miners.
Leroy: Work is work. It's what we do.




From Once Upon a Time:

Grumpy: Are you OK, sister?
Snow White: [tearfully] Not even close.
Grumpy: You didn't find him?
Snow White: Worse. I lost him.
Grumpy: Come on.
Snow White: Where are you taking me?
Grumpy: Home. We all lost someone today.




From Once Upon a Time:

Grumpy: I don't want my pain erased. As wretched as it is, I need my pain. It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.




Follow my blog with Bloglovin

7 comments:

  1. Now you make me want to watch that show just so I can see that actor's version of Grumpy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Grumpy is my favorite of the dwarfs, too, Jaclyn! I actually played Grumpy - in a production in Spanish - in 5th grade. It was filmed and actually aired on my local PBS channel! LOL I'd never really thought about his reaction being the only sane one, but you're right. I love the quotes you picked and, as always, I love your picture! I've never watched Once Upon a Time but you description of Grumpy and getting his story intrigues me.


    I hope your weekend is off to a great start! I'm hoping to have things in my personal life slow down a bit - so I can get back to chatting online! LOL Enjoy your Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis are amazing with creating these intricate back-stories for characters we've only met briefly in fairy-tales before. Not to mention the ones that we 'think' we know so well. I love hearing their version of events. There's always a surprise around every corner. Thank you so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so cool!!! I hope you have it recorded somewhere!


    Once Upon a Time is one of those shows that surprised me. I am in love with everything about it. It's one of the only shows that I watch right when it airs instead of later off of my DVR.


    I'm really hoping to get some things marked off my to-do list this weekend so that I can catch up as well. I've been lackluster on getting reviews completed and visiting blogs to chat so I hope to get that back in action soon as well. Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dopey was my favorite, but I loved Grumpy too. The Once Upon a Time version sounds amazing. One of these months i'm going to hit Netflix and make myself dizzy with TV marathons. I love how much you love this show! Your drawing is so fun with both versions of Grumpy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I contemplated Grumpy before I made my choice, Jaclyn, and I love the quotes you've chosen. Great going :)


    Have a great Sunday :)


    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!