Friday, November 29, 2013

Harry Potter Moment of the Week [16]


This is a meme hosted by Uncorked Thoughts.The aim of this meme is to share with fellow bloggers a character, spell, chapter, object or quote from the books/ films/ J. K. Rowling herself or anything Potter related! She is picking a topic within HP for us to focus on each week and then if anyone wants to take part feel free! All she asks is to link back to her blog :). There is now a full list of the topics to come here.

Favorite Magical Item



I love the Maurader's Map! It brings together so many characters in some interesting ways. When I was introduced to it, Fred and George own it and so graciously hand it over to Harry in his time of need. We later find out that Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs created the map. This makes the map even more special to Harry since his Dad and Father-like figures Sirius and Lupin had a hand in its creation.

The Maurader's Map enables the person using it who says "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" to view every corner, every room, every passage (even hidden ones) and the grounds of Hogwarts. The people there show up as footprints with a name hovering over. It doesn't differentiate between Jr. and Sr. however which does cause problems, and unplottable places like The Room of Requirement and The Chamber of Secrets never show up. To turn the map into a spare bit of parchment again, the user says, "Mischief Managed."

The map plays a fairly large role in the story as far as magical items go. It helped Harry sneak into Hogsmeade. It also very laughingly insults Snape when Harry is caught with it. Harry spotted a few people on the map that shouldn't be there which definitely changed the mode of the story. During Harry's sixth year, he hardly put the map down, constantly tracking Malfoy's movements to see what he was up to. Though it was only figured it out by determining that he kept 'disappearing'. The last book in the series found Harry desperately looking for Ginny's name so he could be close to her in some form.

My second favorite magical item has to be the time-turner. I want one of those for my collection soon. What's your favorite magical item??

I hope everyone that was celebrating Thanksgiving yesterday had a wonderful day!!

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh totally forgot about this! I'd love to have it! It's very useful for doing bad things, and those tunnels to places, like Honeydukes... <3 And yes, insults! Hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES ^^ I adore the Maurauder's Map and after getting a wand replica, the map was the next item I just had to collect! I think I never would have been able to put it down if I had a map like that! Seems to me like you could get totally addicted to that thing...and all the secret passages it reveals and whatnot :D I think the best part is knowing who created the map, and thinking of all the mischief they got to with it...before it ended up with the Weasley twins...and finally Harry ♥ GREAT choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Map is such an awesome magical item! The story behind its creation must be extremely fascinating; one of my biggest HP-related wishes is for J. K. Rowling to one day write anything, even a short story, about the Marauders' days at Hogwarts! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Jaclyn! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good at doing bad things, and hopefully getting away with them ;) Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zane and I like to break it out every now and then to check out all the nooks and crannies. I think the trail the map went through was fantastic :D I wonder who has it now? Thank you so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I agree! That would be wonderful. Have you ever read the extras she wrote on the Marauder's Map and the Marauders themselves on Pottermore? It's not a lot, but it is some good stuff. I had a great Thanksgiving :D I hope your's was fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite magical item is definitely the time-turner. I DESPERATELY want a time-turner of my own. My kids and I debate whether or not anything ever actually get accomplished...but I WANT a time-turner. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MANY BOOKS I COULD READ?!?


    Oh, the Marauder's Map is nice, too. ;) LOL


    I hope you and your family had a fabulous Thanksgiving, Jaclyn. I'm grateful to have met you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!