Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Review: Iron Night (Generation V #2) by M.L. Brennan


Published: January 7, 2014 by Roc
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
Goodreads Summary

Underemployed by day. Undead by night.

Underachieving film theory graduate and vampire Fortitude Scott may be waiting tables at a snooty restaurant run by a tyrannical chef who hates him, but the other parts of his life finally seem to be stabilizing. He's learning how to rule the Scott family territory, hanging out more with his shapeshifting friend Suzume Hollis, and has actually found a decent roommate for once.

Until he finds his roommate’s dead body.

The Scott family cover-up machine swings into gear, but Fort is the only person trying to figure out who (or what) actually killed his friend. His hunt for a murderer leads to a creature that scares even his sociopathic family, and puts them all in deadly peril.

Keeping secrets, killing monsters, and still having to make it to work on time? Sometimes being a vampire really sucks.

"Ah, compartmentalization - my old friend."


The Good


This was a great follow up to Generation V. Fortitude Scott is the youngest of 3 vampire siblings. They each are progressively nicer as they get younger, and we find out why this is. I loved the more in depth look at the Scott family and how Fort came to be basically human while transitioning into a vampire.

I laugh a lot while reading this series. Brennan is great at not only weaving together a believable story with incredibly interesting supernatural elements, but also with making the characters relatable when they really shouldn't be.

My absolute favorite part of this series is the kitsune, Suzume. Her and Fort together on the page is a blend of wit and sexual tension and I love it.

Fort has grown a lot since the first one as well and I just enjoy watching that evolution. The story in Iron Night is about Fort trying to find whoever killed his roommate...right after he finally found one that he meshes well with. It was a unique and interesting journey. So this mystery/thriller aspect is entwined well with the UF universe she has built.

The Bad


There's no complaints for me with this.

The Romance


Fort meets a half-elf that he gets along very well with and you can see the chemistry. They are quite a lot alike. However, Suze and Fort have more chemistry and undeniable tension so it's fun to watch it play out.

Conclusion


A great story. There is a good dramatic mystery to sort out while learning a great deal more about this world that Brennan has made with vampires and more supernatural critters. The writing flows smoothly and there is wit and humor all throughout. I love the characters and have fun watching them grow. Recommended for Urban Fantasy fans.




Excerpts

"Think hard on what she values."
I considered it, then said slowly, "She doesn't value her own life."
Prudence nodded again, pleased. "Precisely. True fanatics do not. So come in, Fortitude, and force her to talk by threatening what she does hold dear."

I'm closer than I used to be, though. Four months ago I'd started the transition into vampire adulthood, but instead of a cake or some bar mitzvah bonds, I'd gotten an increased role in the family business of keeping a solid chunk of the Eastern seaboard thoroughly under the control of our mother, Madeline Scott.

"Damn it, Suze, he stole the freaking napkin. You do this on purpose every time. Get them all riled and worked up, and then I've brought the coffee and they have to walk out of here, so they grab the napkin to provide a visual block." She gave me a very smug look. "Do not look that proud," I scolded. "That's not nice to do to any guy."
"Are you saying that on behalf of your gender, or" - she swept her gaze downward - "are you speaking from more personal experience?"
"I'm immune to you now," I said, picking up the pile of plates and stomping off to the kitchen. Not fast enough, because I could hear her taunting, disbelieving laugh behind me. She was right. I wasn't immune at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!