Monday, August 19, 2013

Guest Post: My Writing Path Part 4 by Robyn Jones

I'd like to thank Robyn for taking the time to write up this guest post. I hope you enjoy. This is Part 4 of the series. You can find Part 1 here.

My Writing Path (part 4)


I started my college career with the mindset I'd be a psychologist. Then my school adviser pointed out I wasn't taking any psych classes. Funny how I missed that small detail when I filled my schedule with art and writing classes. By my glorious senior year, I had the overalls, the paint-encrusted fingernails, and the too-much-exposure-to-turpentine glossy eyes. I found a home in art, but during my senior show I discovered this home wasn't open to the public.

In order to graduate, we had to put on an art show. I came up with this idea. Goodness, I was obsessed with it. We had live nude models come in during class. Each day, I painted a new pose on pieced together sheets of vellum paper. I put five different poses of the same woman together in a near life-size portrait, affixed the painting to a large sheet of plexiglass, then hung it from the ceiling of the gallery. I had three different walk-around paintings. From the front you saw what I wanted you to see. From the back you saw every paint stroke layered on top of the other. You saw mistakes I covered up. You saw this uncontrollable electric piece of art. People kept coming up to me and looking at me as if my work gave them access to my personal world. Each look pushed me further and further away from my brushes and palette. I didn't want to be part of the show.

It took me a decade of living in my head, only tapping into my creativity for new ways to reach my son through his autism, to find a new outlet, one that would let me direct the eye from an invisible podium. I found writing. My paint brushes became the voice in the jumble of words you throw together. The pretty portrait became my plot and cast of characters. The uncontrollable electric piece of art became my audience. 
   
~Robyn

About Robyn Jones:

I laugh when people fall down. It's a glitch in my programming, but even my mom has suffered this quirk. I have a BA in Studio Art from the University of Puget Sound. My boys make me laugh every day. I steal pens; I try real hard not to. I collect those free bookmarks at the checkout counter at libraries. I've had more stitches than anyone I know. I love stories; writing them, reading them, watching them. You can email me at robgirlbooks@gmail.com.

Blog / Twitter / Goodreads


I'd love to hear your story! What made you want to write? What is your process to find the perfect book? Your bookish pet peeves? If you have something to say, send in a guest post to jaclynrcanada@gmail.com.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely Insight Thanks Robyn and Jaclyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jaclyn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. Love hearing how you came to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you didn't tell me about the art show over lunch, Robyn! I'd love to have seen your art - that done with actual brushes and paints. But I'm so very glad you found another artistic outlet in writing. You do paint vivid pictures with your words and I love being a part of your electric audience! :) Thanks for sharing a piece of YOU!


    And thanks to you too, Jaclyn! If it weren't for you, I might not have found Robyn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for stopping by, Jodie :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe I just found this and realized I hadn't put it up yet. Thank you very much for sending it over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy learning more about how authors get their start as well. I think I'm also going to start writing some more personal blog posts some day. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure, Brandee :D I like connecting great people! Isn't it great learning more about our blogger friends? I can't write a story like Robyn does, but I understand art well, and I loved learning this tidbit about her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how I ended up with 2 'arty' friends! LOL I know you really get the art aspect - you and Robyn can talk shadows and colors, etc. I can only tell you what I like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, Robyn, that's amazing. I had no idea you were an art major in college! My daughter is majoring in art as well, and I love everything she does - I am not artful at all, so it always amazes me that I'm actually her mom.


    It's a little sad that the way people looked at you during your senior year expo made you step away from painting, though, and maybe one day you'll go back to it?



    Jaclyn, thanks so much for hosting Robyn today it's always so nice to get to know my favorite bloggers a little better.


    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Jaclyn!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!