Tuesday, April 30, 2013

ARC Review: The Secret Eater by Ros Jackson

Expected Publication: July 15, 2013
Genre: Paranormal, YA
Format: Kindle
Source: Sent for honest review by author

The Secret Eater by Ros Jackson
Goodreads Summary
Kenssie is a demon who feeds from secrets. Lately pickings have been slim, and she has grown so weak that her shield of invisibility is slipping. As the servant of a demon who eats embarrassment she already feels like she's the laughing stock of the demonic world. But the scorn of someone who thinks that Hawaiian shirts are the height of cool is the least of her worries.

A powerful fear demon is dead set on making her his slave, a position that carries seriously short life expectancy.

She has no friends.

No powers.

No clue.

Her only hope of escaping a life of terror lies in stealing a grimoire she's never seen from the clutches of a vindictive group of master demons.

Are your secrets safe?


The Good


Kenssie is a character that is hard not to enjoy. She is the ultimate underdog in the world of demons. With the power to steal people's secrets, the tidbits that she picks up are pretty funny. Her powers are slipping and on top of that she is a thrall to a pretty scary demon master. She doesn't have wings like her master, Rakmanon, and has to rely on him to enjoy this thrill.

The plot is a pretty good one. There is a grimoire that she needs to get her hands on, and she gets up to all kinds of antics with a witch's help. Permilla, the witch, was also an enjoyable character. She has a side of snark and doesn't mind telling Kenssie when she's being an idiot. Veishti is a good evil character as a fear demon and makes the read interesting and her dire straits believable.

Jackson's writing style is fun and easy to devour. It flows well, the information given at a great pace, and I will definitely read more of her work.


The Bad

I really liked this story a lot, but when I got to the end, I said, "Really, that's the end?" I needed about 150 more pages for the completion of the plot and side character development. There was a lot more potential left here to be explored that I felt was missing. In my opinion, those pages would have made it a five star read.

The Romance

There was no romance to mention. I felt like Kenssie had a thing for Rakmanon, but I'm not sure how I even feel about it. I'm not a fan of the little I was shown of him.

Conclusion

Overall, this was a great adventure with a demon character that was fun and humorous. While I would have liked to see more development to the story as a whole, it was well-told and the two main characters very easy to like. I will be picking up the next one. Recommended to anyone looking for a fun paranormal read.

Excerpts

How many times in the last century have you had to poop? Did anyone have to help you with this? She couldn't believe she was reading this. ARC Location 194

Even if they wanted to run at this point, they couldn't. They were at the mercy of Veishti's thralls, and he was a killer. Blood ran down her cheek, actual blood. The grimoire had better be worth it. ARC Location 888

"Kenssie, I forbid you to use your power to draw secrets from my mind." Her temples throbbed with the force of his command. It hadn't even crossed her mind to do so, but now she couldn't help but wonder what he had to hide. ARC Location 1455

11 comments:

  1. I loved the premise too, and glad the story was good even with the non-ending. Hate those kinds. I have some where I am like, they forgot about 50 pages, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of secret eaters and scare demons. For whatever reason I thought of Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series and the creatures that suck the life/power/whatever out of the Djinn. I like a thorough ending, so I'm not sure about this book for me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I've seen this one around. I love the concept and I am happy to hear the writing and characters were good but I hate when a book ends too early. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a secrets eater? Like real secrets? That's odd. I don't think I've read a book that didn't have romance, it's like every book has to include it, that should be an interesting change

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I think the eating secrets thing is really neat. I love hearing all the tidbits in the bystander's heads. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a really good concept. Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that series. My cousin borrowed it, and I haven't seen it again. Now I only have number 8 because I happened to have a duplicate of it. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was pretty good ;) Thank you so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! So you know exactly what I mean. Thank you so much for stopping by :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like such a novel spin on demons, and Kenssie seems to be a great MC. Too bad about the ending cutting off- I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a completely new one to me and sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!