Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Review: Pure (The Covenant #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Published: April 3, 2012 by Spencer Hill Press
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fantasy
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Goodreads Summary

There is need. And then there is Fate. Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's other half is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her. When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon--and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude--or killing her. When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.


The Good


I immediately jumped into this one after reading Half-Blood. The way the other ends, made me want to pick this one up as soon as possible. Then, when I had Pure in my hands, I read it in one sitting. I feel like this one is stronger than Half-Blood.

I loved getting to see the characters develop more and even some growth happening. I really enjoyed getting more information on characters that were hardly even in the first one. I feel like the way information is given in this series, bit by bit with Alex learning her way back around, that it makes it seem even more like I'm a part of it. I'm learning even more rules, information, and people as we go, and it's a lot of fun.

There are some crazy things going down here. A lot has happened to Alex and she just keeps getting hit. There are a ton of turns and you couldn't possibly guess everything that happens. I love Alex as the heroine. She definitely deserves the title. She's definitely flawed, but that just makes her more human and relatable. I am invested in these characters and want to see everyone succeed. As we know, Armentrout does not have a problem taking characters away from us and that just makes the conflict rev up more.

The Romance


I got to get to know Seth a lot more in this one, and I enjoyed seeing different aspects of his character. However, I think his train of thought is very one-tracked. Not for what you would think either. I continue to love Aiden. I am really loving everything that I learn about his character and I really hope that they somehow get through the forbidden aspect of a relationship to make that work.

Conclusion


Pure has a lot of action. It has character growth and some interesting insights into the characters as more information about them is shared. I love watching Alex as a heroine even if she is an act first and think later type of character. I thoroughly enjoy the humor that Armentrout has in her writing. The ending makes you want to read the next one immediately. Recommended.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!