Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Review: End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days #3) by Susan Ee


Published: May 12, 2015 by Skyscape
Genre: YA, Paranormal Fantasy, Dystopia
Format: ebook
Source: purchased
Goodreads Summary

End of Days is the explosive conclusion to Susan Ee’s bestselling Penryn & the End of Days trilogy. After a daring escape from the angels, Penryn and Raffe are on the run. They’re both desperate to find a doctor who can reverse the twisted changes inflicted by the angels on Raffe and Penryn’s sister. As they set off in search of answers, a startling revelation about Raffe’s past unleashes dark forces that threaten them all.

When the angels release an apocalyptic nightmare onto humans, both sides are set on a path toward war. As unlikely alliances form and strategies shift, who will emerge victorious? Forced to pick sides in the fight for control of the earthly realm, Raffe and Penryn must choose: Their own kind, or each other?


"This is Penryn Young, Daughter of Man, Killer of Angels."


The Good

This is not an epic conclusion of the series, however it is a good one. The characters that I love are still here. I get a good dose of Raffe, Penryn, Paige, Penryn's mom (did we ever find out her name?), and the Tweedle Twins are my favorites. Dee and Dum are so hilarious that I can't help but love them as wonderful supporting characters.

The pace is very, very fast in this one. There is non-stop action and decision making since so much is going on. This series is really a dark one with angels here to wipe out mankind and I appreciate how each book has hit home how dire their situations are. We get a new setting in this one...The Pit...for a while which was an interesting turn of events. The concept is here and this is a very unique story told very well.

I love how all aspects of humanity are explored. It goes pretty deeply into the 'there are good and bad' in every group, and I appreciate that.

The Bad


The ending was a bit rushed. The action at the end doesn't seem as long as I would have liked and it does get all wrapped up quickly. There is some loss, but not as much as I expected. Don't get me wrong, I really like happy endings but the feeling of that final battle should have been a bit more full of terror if you know what I mean.

The Romance


It has the forbidden romance. I am a fan of that one because I'm interested to see how it will all work out. In this series, Raffe is staunch about not breaking the angel rules even though he clearly wants to be with Penryn. There's a lot of chemistry and tension around them.

Conclusion


A great series. It's different from any other angel read with the dystopian aspects adding a wonderful touch. I love that the angels are here to completely wipe us out and the feeling is dark and dire throughout the series. The characters are fantastic. I love Penryn's ragtag group of very weird companions. End of Days has a rushed feeling and the action in the last battle could have gone on longer, but it was a great read. Recommended.



Excerpts

These are not the screams of an angry man. These are the nightmare screams of someone having his soul torn to pieces right in front of him.

Any minute now, we might have to choose our loyalties. When that happens, I'd be an idiot to think we'll be on the same side.

The best I can hope for is that the people get a few minutes to run while the hellions are busy tearing me apart. It's a Penryn party.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!