Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Review: The One (The Selection #3) by Kiera Cass


Published: May 6th, 2014 HarperTeen
Genre: YA, Dystopia
Format: ebook
Source: Purchased
Goodreads Summary

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18635016-the-one?from_search=true&search_version=service

“This isn’t happily ever after.

It’s so much more than that.” 


The Good


Finally! I was getting really tired of the waffling on America's part between two men. While they are both great, you either love one of them or you don't. I was glad to see this decision made and the love triangle effectively ended.

I was also really proud of the fact that America realized that she could in fact be a princess if she wanted it. She's got a lot of great ideas, truly cares about people, and is brave. These are some great qualities for a leader to have.

The action here was done well. It starts out with rebel attacks, and this part of the story is expounded on exponentially in The One. There were a lot of losses, but that makes victory so much sweeter in the end for those that make it out.

These girls that are in the selection have gotten closer and closer with each book as their numbers dwindle down. I loved getting to know more about each of them and even have one that I couldn't stand early on do a 360 so that she became one of my favorites in the story.


The Bad


The ending and how the story is wrapped up is very satisfying, but predictable.

The Romance


I was so glad to see a conclusion to a love triangle that had been driving me bonkers. The connection that America shares with both guys is real, but there is only one that she was going to end up with. I did notice little signs of another romance blooming and was very happy to see it come to fruition.


Conclusion


A great way to end the series, even if predictable. Action packed, well-paced, and filled with characters that I enjoy, The One is a quick and easy read that is executed well. Recommended.



Excerpts

“I want everything with you, America. I want the holidays and the birthdays, the busy season and lazy weekends. I want peanut butter fingertips on my desk. I want inside jokes and fights and everything. I want a life with you.”

Maxon: “To be clear, no one agrees with you.”
America: “To be clear, I don’t care.” 

“Leave it to you to find beauty in something others would say ruins a day.” 

5 comments:

  1. It's sad when everything is neatly wrapped up at the end and tied with bow :) I don't know, I didn't make it past the first book, but I know that lots of people loved the series. Great review <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed it as a quick, easy read. I made it through the whole series pretty quickly and thought the character progression and action was a good part of the story. You're right, it's not as fun when all the bits and pieces are tied up. I am looking forward to the spinoff of the series though and wonder where it will go. Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd heard many enjoying this series. Sorry the ending was predictable, but sounds like a great journey to get there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd give it a go when you are ready for something quick and easy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and read every one of them! Since they are an award in themselves, this is an award-free blog. Thank you though for the consideration!